Home Weather Ryan Martin’s Indiana Ag Forecast for October 29, 2018

Ryan Martin’s Indiana Ag Forecast for October 29, 2018

SHARE
indiana farm expo

We don’t see much new precipitation today or tomorrow, as we are mostly in-between systems. However, clouds will still be a big part of today’s weather, and tomorrow sun will be followed by increasing clouds once again. Today, with the mix of clouds and sun, we can’t completely rule out a spit or a sprinkle in spots, but we don’t think there is a big threat of action. Temps will remain near to below normal today, but we see a move to above normal as our next system gets closer.

Better organized rains kick off tomorrow night, and then we see rains continue through Thursday night. This will be a slow-moving front coming from NW to SE, with moisture flowing up the front from SW to NE. This is a recipe for some significant rains over the state. The heaviest rains overnight Tuesday night through Wednesday early afternoon will be in northern Indiana, then the heavier rains shift south from Wednesday night through Thursday. Combined, though, we think that 90% of the state will pick up between half and 1.5” rain totals with the remaining 10% getting rain, just maybe falling short of that half inch lower boundary.

We take a brief break on Friday, but then have another minor threat of moisture overnight Friday night through midday Saturday. Moisture totals will be a few hundredths to a quarter inch, tops. And we have coverage at 40%.

Another brief break rounds out the weekend for Saturday night and most of Sunday. But, clouds build back in late Sunday, and rains kick off near midnight Sunday night and go through the day Monday. There we can see rain totals of .25”-1” with coverage at 90% of the state again. We finish the 10-day window with no rain for next Tuesday or Wednesday, although clouds will keep us from seeing dominant sunshine. The map at right shows cumulative 10-day precipitation potential, starting this morning.

For the extended period, we see a few scattered light showers next Wednesday night into Thursday as another push of warm air moves in. Then we see nothing until late the 11th through the 13th. There, we pick up rain totals of half to 1 inch with coverage at 100%. That front will also bring in significantly cooler air, and a return to below normal temperatures.

Temperatures over the next 2-week period will spend a majority of the time at normal to above normal levels. Cooler pushes will be limited to a few days here and there. However, the biggest problem at this point will be a lack of any significant multi-day dry stretches. Here over the next 10 days, we only get 24-48 hours at a time precipitation free, and those breaks will be following period of significant rain…so fieldwork will be slowing to a crawl as we move through the first part of November.

indiana farm expo